Slain singer Sidhu Moosewala's family has decided to observe his first death anniversary on March 19, making the state government wary of security issues. Fans of the singer, who was shot dead last year, are expected to turn up in large numbers at the singer's village on Sunday. Political leaders, including those from the Congress, are also expected to be present.
Moosewala's father Balkaur Singh announced the gathering, known as 'barsi', through a video on social media. According to a news18 report, a new market in Mansa will be the venue for the event. Mansa district authorities and police are on high alert and security arrangements are in place, also considering the fact that death threats were issued against Balkaur also. Deputy Commissioner Baldeep Kaur has announced a ban on flying drones near the venue. Police personnel from other districts have also been brought in to ensure elaborate security arrangements.
The family has been upset with the Bhagwant Mann government's handling of the probe into the singer's death. The 28-year-old singer was shot dead while he was driving near his home in Mansa district. The Punjab police linked the murder to gang wars; Canada-based Goldy Brar, a member of Lawrence Bishnoi's gang had claimed responsibility for the murder. Bishnoi along with several other persons have been booked in the Moosewala murder case.
The gathering comes in the backdrop of gangster Lawrence's videos, allegedly released from the Bathinda jail where he is currently lodged. In the video, Lawrence claimed that it was his associate Brar and his cousin Sachin Bishnoi planned the murder to avenge the killings of “our brothers” Vicky Middukhera and Gurlal Brar. However, Bathinda Jail Superintendent ND Negi said that the video was neither from Bathinda jail nor of any other jail of the state.
“I will speak at length on all issues related to Sidhu’s murder and its probe on his first barsi on Sunday. Gangster Bishnoi’s interview is a conspiracy to defame him,” Balkaur told The Tribune.