Antoine Griezmann is set to leave Atletico Madrid at the end of the season, the French striker announced on Tuesday.
In a video released on Atletico's official Twitter account, Griezmann said he has taken the decision to leave. He had already conveyed the same to coach Diego Simeone and Chief Executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin.
Griezmann addressed his supporters and thanked them for giving him a lot of love. He said his decision to leave entailed other challenges in the future.
“The truth is it has been difficult to arrive to this point but I feel it's what I need to do, I want to thank you for all the support you have given me in these five years, where I won my first trophies,” the World Cup winner said.
“I've had some incredible moments which I'll always remember, I'll always hold Atletico fans in my heart, it's never easy to make a decision like this,” he added. “Many thanks for everything, I have really enjoyed myself in the last five years... I have tried to give lots of joy to the fans at the Wanda Metropolitano and to our fans at away games, many thanks from my heart and until next time.”
The 28-year-old did not let on where he was going next, but speculations are rife that he would be joining Barcelona. Griezmann had rejected Barcelona last year and renewed his contract with Atletico for another five years until 2023.
Griezmann joined Atletico in 2014. He transferred from Real Sociedad for a reported 30 million euros. He has been a top performer for the Spanish club since he joined and went on to win the 2018 Europa League and the UEFA Super Cup with Atletico.