Uruguay footballer Luis Suarez has tested positive for COVID-19, the national team announced on Monday, and will miss Tuesday’s World Cup Qualifiers against Brazil.
In a statement, the Uruguayan national football team said that along with Suarez, stand-in goalie Rodrigo Munoz and another staff member had also tested positive for the coronavirus infection.
“Tests have been carried out on all the members of the national team, with the result that the players Luis Suarez (and) Rodrigo Munoz and the official, Matias Faral, have tested positive for Covid-19,” the statement read.
The Atletico Madrid forward is in good health, as is Munoz and Faral, the statement read. The team said it is following protocol and taking the necessary measures following the positive results.
Uruguay, who have not beaten Brazil since 2001, host the Brazilians in Montevideo on Tuesday.
His positive result also means that Suarez will miss Atletico Madrid’s La Liga match against his former club Barcelona. It would have been the first time faced his former after joining Atletico.
Suarez is the latest footballer to contract the virus after Liverpool’s Egyptian player Mohamed Salah tested positive for COVID-19 last week.