The death toll in Russian strike on a multi-storey building in Dnipro rose to 23 on Sunday. Rescue workers continue to work at the incident site to pull survivors from the rubble of the apartment building.
Emergency crews worked through the frigid night at the multi-storey residential building as the death toll rose to 23, according to the city government.
The casualties were the worst from a barrage of Russian strikes on several cities in Ukraine on Saturday.
The Russian defence ministry on Saturday said in a statement that they have launched strikes targeting Ukrainian military and infrastructure sites. Quoting the statement, Reuters reported, "All designated targets were hit. The objective of the strike has been achieved."
The attacks also targeted the capital, Kyiv, and the northeastern city of Kharkiv, ending a two-week lull in Moscow's strikes on Ukraine's power infrastructure and urban centres. Russia fired 33 cruise missiles on Saturday, of which 21 were shot down, according to General Valeriy Zaluzhny, the commander-in-chief of the Ukrainian armed forces.
In Dnipro, workers used a crane as they tried to rescue people trapped on upper floors of the apartment tower where about 1,700 were living. Some residents signalled for help with lights on their mobile phones.
The Dnipro city government reported on Sunday afternoon that at least 72 people were wounded and 43 people were reported missing. It said 39 people were rescued so far.