Short video app Snapchat has announced it has permanently banned US President Donald Trump form the platform. The move comes a day after YouTube announces a seven-day ban on the incumbent President for inciting a mob to attack the Capitol. Facebook on January 12 announced that it had no plans of lifting its ban on accounts of President Donald Trump.
Micro-blogging site Twitter Chief Executive Jack Dorsey, too, said that banning the President from the platform was the 'right decision', as the President's incited his supporters to vandalise the Capitol building. “I do not celebrate or feel pride in our having to ban @realDonaldTrump from Twitter, or how we got here,” Twitter chief Jack Dorsey tweeted on Wednesday.
“Last week we announced an indefinite suspension of President Trump's Snapchat account,” Snapchat said told AFP.
Five people died as a result of an attack by Trump supporters at the Capitol, including a police officer, who succumbed to wounds after he tried to physically manage the crowd.
“In the interest of public safety, and based on his attempts to spread misinformation, hate speech, and incite violence, which are clear violations of our guidelines, we have made the decision to permanently terminate his account,” Snapchat said.
Some Republican leaders have been expressing anger over social media platforms banning Trump's accounts saying that it suppressed the president's right to free speech.