Real Madrid forward Vinicius Jr's red card in Sunday's LaLiga match at Valencia, has been rescinded, the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) said on Tuesday.
He was sent off in stoppage time by referee Ricardo de Burgos Bengoetxea for slapping a Valencia player following a scuffle in which Vinicius appeared to be held by the neck. Vinicius was earlier racially abused by fans at the Mestalla Stadium, which led to the game being halted for 10 minutes as the player pointed out people who were abusing him in the stands.
"The RFEF Competition Committee considers that the referee's assessment was determined by the omission of the entirety of the play that took place, which affected the refereeing decision," the federation said. "The fact that he (the referee) was deprived of a decisive part of the facts led him to adopt an arbitrary decision. And this is because it was impossible for him to properly assess what happened."
- La Liga: Barcelona beat Getafe in style
- Dani Carvajal sees red as La Liga leaders Real Madrid held by Rayo Vallecano
- Rafa Nadal wants Real Madrid to sign Kylian Mbappe, defends Frenchman for remaining at PSG after 'pressure from all angles'
- La Liga: Ahead of Real Madrid, Girona games, Rayo Vallecano fire coach
- Kylian Mbappe camp unhappy with new Real Madrid offer, La Liga club unwilling to match PSG scale: Report
Seven people accused of hate crimes against Vinicius were detained by the Spanish police earlier on Tuesday. The RFEF also announced that it had fined the club 45,000 euros ($49,536) and that the south stand of the Valencia stadium will be partially closed for five matches.
Valencia called the sanction "disproportionate" and "unfair", saying it harms the fans who were not involved in the "shameful incident". The club added they would appeal the partial closure of the stadium.
Following the racial abuse in the match which Real Madrid lost 0-1, Vinicius said that the Spanish league “now belongs to racists”.
“It wasn't the first time, or the second or the third. Racism is normal in LaLiga. The competition thinks it's normal, as does the federation, and the opponents encourage it," the Brazilian star said on Instagram and Twitter. "The league that once belonged to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cristiano (Ronaldo) and (Lionel) Messi now belongs to racists ... But I'm strong and I will fight until the end against the racists. Even if far from here.”
The 22-year-old has been subjected to racist abuse since moving to Spain five years ago.