Lionel Messi and Zlatan Ibrahimovic made it to the 10-member shortlist for the prestigious 2019 Puskas Award, but Cristiano Ronaldo missed out.
The Puskas award is given to the most beautiful goal scored in the calendar year.
FIFA tweeted the list of nominees earlier today. Three female players have been nominated along with seven male players.
- Barcelona vs Dortmund: Messi to return? Lineups, timings, details here
- 2022 FIFA WC Qualifier: India holds Asian Champions Qatar to draw
- India vs Qatar at the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers: 0-0 at half-time
- FIFA WC Qualifiers: India face tough match against Asian champions Qatar
- Oman loss: Chhetri finds it difficult to swallow, coach says deserved more
Matheus Cunha (Brazil)
Zlatan Ibrahimović (Sweden)
Lionel Messi (Argentina)
Ajara Nchout (Cameroon - female)
Fabio Quagliarella (Italy)
Juan Fernando Quintero (Colombia)
Amy Rodriguez (USA - female)
Billie Simpson (Northern Ireland - female)
Andros Townsend (England)
Dániel Zsóri (Romania)
Barcelona star Messi was nominated for a clever chip in the match against Real Betis in La Liga in March 2019. Ibrahimovic, who plays for the LA Galaxy in MLS, made the list for his brilliant goal against Toronto FC.
Cameroon international Ajara Nchout is the first female entry on the list, thanks to an individual effort against New Zealand at the 2019 Women’s World Cup.
Liverpool striker Mohamed Salah, who hasn’t been nominated this year, won the 2018 edition of the award. The winner of the Puskas Award will be announced along with the FIFA Best Awards which will be held later this year.
Fans can vote for their favourite goal. The voting ends on September 1.