J&K: 2 terrorists killed as security forces thwart infiltration bid along LOC in Kupwara

Two AK rifles, magazines and Pakistani currency notes were among the seized items

PTI01_02_2023_000061A Representational image | PTI

Two infiltrators trying to cross the Line of Control were killed by the security forces in an encounter at Machil in Jammu and Kashmir's Kupwara.

In a post on X, the Kupwara police said the operation against the militants was launched in the Kumkadiara area of the Machil Sector after receiving specific input. Police said the two infiltrators were killed and the operation was in progress.

"Based on an intelligence input provided by Kupwara Police, in a joint operation carried by Army and Police in Kumkadi area of Machal sector, two infiltrating terrorists have been killed so far. The operation is still in progress," police said. Two AK rifles, four magazines, 90 rounds, a pistol, a pouch and Pakistani currency notes were also recovered from the encounter site

Infiltration bids are on the rise of late but most attempts have been thwarted by the security forces. On September 16, three militants were killed near the LoC at Hathlanga, Uri in Baramulla. The encounter had started during a search operation in the area by a joint team of Army and Police in the area.

During the search operation, the security forces came under fire triggering an encounter in which one unidentified militant was killed initially. Later two militants were killed in the firefight between the security forces.

Since September 17, six incidents of infiltration have been foiled by the security forces in Jammu and Kashmir. Two incidents occurred in Reasi’s Chassana area and the Narla area of Rajouri and the rest in north Kashmir’s Uri, Baramulla and Kupwara.

The militants have also changed tactics and resorted to more deadly attacks along areas close to the Pir Panjal including south Kashmir’s Kulgama and Anantnag districts.

On September 13, two army officers, a Colonel and a Major, a soldier and a DSP of police were killed in a fierce encounter at Gadole forest, Kokernag in Anantnag.

The Army and J&K police surrounded the forest and killed the two militants involved in the attacks after seven days, the longest operation in Kashmir in a decade.

📣 The Week is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TheWeekmagazine) and stay updated with the latest headlines