Tillu Tajpuriya case: HC pulls up Tihar jail officials; TN cops who failed to stop murder sent back

The court was considering a plea by Tillu's kin seeking an CBI probe into the murder

Tillu-Tajpuriya-ANI Gangster Tillu Tajpuriya | ANI

The Delhi High Court has questioned the Tihar jail authorities on why they failed to take "preventive or remedial action" when gangster Tillu Tajpuriya was stabbed to death inside the jail.

Tillu, an accused in the Rohini courthouse shootout, was stabbed to death inside Tihar on May 2 by the rival gang members. Disturbing CCTV footage showed the men dragging and stabbing Tillu multiple times while the police personnel stayed mute spectators. 

The Delhi High Court was considering the petition filed by Tillu's father and brother seeking an investigation by the CBI into the murder. 

Justice Jasmeet Singh, while issuing a notice to the Director General of Prisons (Delhi), Delhi government and the Commissioner of Police, questioned the jail authorities over the recovery of four knives from the jail premises. Singh also ordered the authorities to file an affidavit as to how four knives were found in prison.

It also listed the matter for further hearing on May 25 and asked the jail superintendent to be present in the court on the next date of hearing.

To the petitioners' plea seeking adequate security for themselves, the High Court directed the Delhi Police to ensure their safety and security.

Meanwhile, the seven personnel of the Tamil Nadu Special Police (TNSP), who were on duty at the prison cell when Tajpuriya was murdered, have been sent back home. They were suspended three days ago following the incident. 

The Tamil Nadu Police issued an order to send back seven of its special force personnel after the Director General of Prisons in Delhi wrote to TNSP. The DG urged the TNSP to take action against the personnel who stayed mute spectators when the gangster was murdered. 

Meanwhile, a jail official told The Indian Express that the siren button inside the jail where Tillu was lodged was not working on the day. 

"An enquiry was conducted and we also found that the siren button inside the jail number 8 was not working at that time. It appears several inmates had tried to press the button and alert police and jail officials but it wasn’t working. We are checking this and will take legal action," the official added.


📣 The Week is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TheWeekmagazine) and stay updated with the latest headlines