Two junior commissioned officers of the Army were killed in a sniper attack by Pakistani troopers at the Line of Control in Kupwara on Friday.
According to reports, Pakistani troops violated ceasefire and targeted an Army post at Jumgand.
- Bypolls to panchayats in J&K postponed due to security reasons
- EXCLUSIVE: Was Pakistan's ISI using British MP for anti-India propaganda?
- J&K political parties cite detention of leaders to stay away from panchayat bypolls
- British MP's visa revoked for her 'anti-India' activities: Govt sources
- Despite uncertainties, J&K to hold Global Investors Summit in May
Two officers were injured in the attack. They were taken to the military hospital at Drugmulla where junior commissioned officer Subedar Gamar Thapa, 42, succumbed to the injuries.
The other officer, identified as junior commissioned officer Subedar Raman Thapa, was admitted to Army’s 92 Base Hospital at Badami Bagh in Srinagar for treatment, where according to reports, he succumbed to the wounds.
Sniper attacks by Pakistan have emerged as a major challenge for the Indian Army after infiltration by militants. Though infiltration attempts have come down due to snow, the intermittent sniper attacks have continued along the LoC from Kashmir to Jammu.