Two junior commissioned officers of the Army were killed in a sniper attack by Pakistani troopers at the Line of Control in Kupwara on Friday.
According to reports, Pakistani troops violated ceasefire and targeted an Army post at Jumgand.
- Will soar high if Pakistan stoops low, Indian envoy on UNGA and Kashmir
- J&K Investor Summit postponed to 2020
- We must hug each Kashmiri, says Modi; promises to create 'new paradise' in the Valley
- Good offices available to India, Pak, if both ask for it: UN chief on Kashmir
- J&K governor says Jammu, Srinagar will have 24-hour power supply in winters
Two officers were injured in the attack. They were taken to the military hospital at Drugmulla where junior commissioned officer Subedar Gamar Thapa, 42, succumbed to the injuries.
The other officer, identified as junior commissioned officer Subedar Raman Thapa, was admitted to Army’s 92 Base Hospital at Badami Bagh in Srinagar for treatment, where according to reports, he succumbed to the wounds.
Sniper attacks by Pakistan have emerged as a major challenge for the Indian Army after infiltration by militants. Though infiltration attempts have come down due to snow, the intermittent sniper attacks have continued along the LoC from Kashmir to Jammu.