Here's some some good news for fans of Vijay. The actor's latest sports action drama Bigil has emerged as the highest-grossing Tamil movie of the year. It has been 50 days since the movie was released.
Producer of the film Archana Kalapathi took to Twitter to share the news of the movie setting the record of being the highest-grosser of the year. “As Bigil completes 50 days at the box office to become the highest grossing Tamil movie of the year across the world we would like to thank each every one of you who loved the film and watched it in theaters near you,” she tweeted.
Directed by Atlee, with whom Vijay frequently collaborates, Bigil had the actor playing a father and son. The movie also featured Nayanthara, Jackie Shroff, Indhuja, Reba Monica John, Kathir and Vivek in the leading roles. The background music was scored by A.R. Rahman.
- Vijay’s ‘Master’ enters Rs 100 crore club
- Vijay's 'Master' to be remade in Hindi; casting to begin soon
- Important for me to do roles that contribute to the film's story: Malavika Mohanan
- Superstar Rajinikanth's 'blood pressure under control', advised complete rest
- Shooting of Rajinikanth's 'Annaatthe' halted after crew members test COVID-19 positive
The movie had garnered average reviews, but the fans were impressed by the football and action scenes. Vijay's performance as the elder character, Rayappan, had won high praise from his fans.
The movie had Vijay playing the role of a football player who was forced to become the coach of Tamil Nadu women's team after a tragedy befalls on his younger brother who was their coach. Despite the initial opposition from the team, Vijay's character goes on to win over the girls and help them win matches. Vijay also played a local thug in the movie.