Trunk side bends have multiple benefits—they help the spinal muscles, the abdominal organs are invigorated, the chest cavity gets a good stretch and the intercostal muscles get well-toned. These benefits can be gained with the help of two ropes. This technique also helps the shoulders and the arms.
* Take a pair of mountaineering ropes, which are knotted to make a loop
* Knot one of the ropes to the window bar at a height of about 6 feet
* Pass the other rope on to the window bar at a height of about 4 feet
* Stand upright with the wall to your right side
* Flex the right hand and hold the loop of the lower rope
* Raise left hand up and hold the top rope
* Take the feet to the wall and gently transfer the load on to the ropes
* Keeping the legs straight, slowly straighten the arms
* Ensure the legs, trunk and arms are on the same plane
* Stay for about 20-30 seconds
* Slowly come up and release the ropes
* Change side
Caution: Ensure the rope is of mountaineering quality and the window bars are strong enough to take weight.