Two worshippers were allegedly stabbed by an armed individual in the Nanaksar Gurdwara temple in Edmonton, Canada. The victims, aged 75 and 51, were initially treated by Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. 

The 27-year-old accused was detained by people inside the Gurudwara until the police arrived and was subsequently arrested by the officers. Charges against the suspect are pending. 

According to the Edmonton Police Service (EPS), the incident took place at around 5:05am on Friday. Reports indicate that early morning prayers were underway because of a wedding scheduled later in the day, when the armed individual entered the building and caused a disruption. 

The prayer conductors initially tried to reason with the man, which led to a conflict. The accused attacked the individuals after he was denied access to the prayer area. 

Though initial reports indicated that Sikh scriptures were destroyed in the attack, temple officials have confirmed that nothing was damaged. 

According to official police reports, EPS received a call at around 4:49am about an unidentified male walking through traffic on Highway 15 near Horsehill Road. Shortly after, they were notified of an attack inside the Nanaksar Gurdwara near the same road. 

Police said that the suspect was known to them and has a previous history of violent offences. He had recently been released from a federal facility where he had been serving a sentence for attacking a peace officer. 

The EPS Investigative Response Team has taken control of the investigation and is coordinating with the EPS Hate Crimes Unit to determine whether the attack was hate-motivated. 

“We are thankful that this morning’s event did not result in more significant injuries or deaths but also recognise that the trauma experienced by the victims and their community cannot be understated,” EPS Chief Warren Driechel said

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney posted on X, calling the attack “appalling” and adding that everyone should feel safe in their community. 

“My thoughts are with the two people who were injured and the wider community that is shaken by this terrible event. No one should ever feel unsafe in their place of worship,” he posted. 

Disclaimer: Comments posted here are the sole responsibility of the user and do not reflect the views of THE WEEK. Obscene or offensive remarks against any person, religion, community or nation are punishable under IT rules and may invite legal action.