Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Friday said it is time to end the war with the United States as Tehran is currently in a position of strength.
“It is better that we bring the war to an end now, as we are in a position of power and dignity,” said Pezeshkian.
Speaking during a meeting with doctors, he said, “The whole world acknowledges our victory and emphasises that America has attacked our schools, hospitals and infrastructure in violation of all regulations and is hated around the world.”
Despite deadly airstrikes by the US and Israel, Iran has so far managed to use retaliatory pressure to its advantage by attacking oil-rich Gulf kingdoms, US bases in the Middle East and the commercial ships in the Strait of Hormuz.
The president's remarks come as Iranians are reportedly finding difficult to afford the basics amid force of sanctions and naval blockade. Though Tehran has projected resilience in the conflict, there are fears about worsening financial hardship reigniting mass unrest.
However, Washington is in no mood to back down with US Treasury chief Scott Bessent threatening to deliver the toughest sanctions in history with aim of toppling the Iranian leadership. He said more details on the financial penalties would be revealed on Monday.
Following this, the chief of staff of Iran's Armed Forces, Major General Ali Abdollahi, said the Tehran's response would be broad and decisive.
"With preparedness across land, sea, air, air defence and cyberspace, Iran's armed forces will respond to the enemy's new threats with crushing, punishing and devastating responses," Abdollahi was quoted as saying by Iranian media.