4 reasons why US could strike Iran as Trump issues ultimatum: 'Bad things will happen'

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt on Thursday said there are "many reasons and arguments" for a potential strike against Iran.

Aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln Aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln | AP

Even as nuclear talks between Tehran and Washington progresses, US President Donald Trump said Iran should agree to a "meaningful deal" or get ready to face "bad things".

"It's proven to be over the years not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran. We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen," Trump said while speaking at the inaugural meeting of the "Board of Peace" to secure stability in Gaza. He warned Tehran that the negotiations must happen in the next 10 days or Washington "may have to take it a step further".

For latest news and analyses on Middle East, visit: Yello! Middle East

Trump's threat comes hours after White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt on Thursday said there are "many reasons and arguments" for a potential strike against Iran. Though Leavitt acknowledged "a little bit of progress", she said the two sides remain "very far apart". Issuing an ultimatum, she warned that Iran would be "wise to make a deal" with President Donald Trump. While Leavitt did not list the "reasons", here are some of the key arguments Trump could make to justify his potential strikes on Iran.

Nuclear dispute

This would be anyone's guess. US administrations over the years have tried to hold talks with Iran in order to prevent the country from obtaining a nuclear weapon. However, Tehran has withstood all pressures from the US, whether its economic sanctions or political isolation.

Last year, Trump had set a deadline for Iran to reach an agreement over nuclear dispute. However, after the deadline passed, Israel struck Iran and was joined by the US, resulting in the 12-day war. However, this time, the US is unlikely to limit its attacks to nuclear sites and could even push for a regime change.

Killings of protesters

In January, Trump threatened to strike Iran if the regime targeted protesters agitating over economic crisis in the country. However, thousands of protesters were killed in clashes with security forces.

However, Trump did not carry out any attacks, partly due to key Gulf nations like Qatar and Oman convincing him to continues talks and partly due to unavailability of military assets in the Middle East during the time. Nevertheless, Trump began military build-up in the region even as the talks resumed.

Netanyahu's push

Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been calling for dismantling of all Iranian nuclear infrastructure and removal of all enriched uranium from the country, based on which Washington and Tehran should reach a deal.

"All enriched material has to leave Iran... and there should be no enrichment capability," Netanyahu said three days ago ahead of the second round of talks.

Two aircraft carriers and massive military build-up

With the US sending two aircraft carriers, USS Abraham Lincoln USS Gerald R Ford, to the region, Trump has established that he is not bluffing about striking Iran. Unless Tehran agrees to Washington's key demands, the Trump administration is unlikely to back down.

TAGS