The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the alleged theft of donations at Ayodhya’s Ram Mandir has given a clean chit to former Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust general secretary Champat Rai and former trust member Anil Mishra.
Rai and Mishra resigned from their respective positions on June 27 after allegations of theft surfaced. Both were also questioned by the SIT during its investigation.
The Uttar Pradesh government, which constituted the SIT on June 13 to probe the alleged donation scam, on Monday handed over the team’s final report to the trust for further action.
The three-member SIT was headed by Lucknow Divisional Commissioner Vijay Vishwas Pant. Inspector General of Police, Lucknow Range, Kiran S, and Special Secretary (Finance) Neel Ratan Kumar were the other members of the team.
Champat Rai was also questioned by the Uttar Pradesh Police, which is conducting a parallel investigation into the alleged embezzlement of donations. During the questioning, Rai reportedly denied any involvement in the case and said he had acted immediately after learning about the alleged malpractice at the temple.
In a handwritten letter addressed to “Ram devotees”, Rai had described the allegations against him as “baseless” and said he would respond to them point by point once the SIT submitted its final report.
So far, eight people associated with the temple’s donation-counting process have been arrested, while the police investigation is continuing.
Last month, nearly 300 seers who gathered in Ayodhya to discuss issues related to the Ram temple rallied behind Rai, saying he had no role in the alleged theft.
The seers had urged the trust to reject his resignation and reinstate him in the top post, citing his contribution to the Ram temple movement and the subsequent construction of the temple.
“There could be a lack of communication, and we, the seers of Ayodhya, are not convinced about his complicity in the case,” the seers said, according to media reports.
The clean chit to Rai comes days after the selection committee tasked with appointing the first full-time chief executive officer (CEO) of the temple trust completed interviews of 16 shortlisted candidates. The committee is now expected to recommend candidates for the post.
The decision to appoint a full-time CEO came amid increased scrutiny of the trust’s financial management following allegations of embezzlement of donations meant for the Ram temple.