Indian government has already filed an appeal against the death sentence awarded to eight former Navy officers by a Qatar court last month, the External Affairs Ministry said on Thursday.
“We will remain engaged with Qatar authorities in the matter,” MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said, adding that the Indian embassy in Doha had received another consular access to the detainees.
“We are in touch with their family members, too. We will continue to extend all legal and consular support to them,” he said.
Neither New Delhi nor Doha has officially stated the charges against the ex-Navy men who were arrested in August 2022. Reports, however, claimed that they were charged with spying for Israel.
The spokesperson said the judgement passed by the Court of First Instance of Qatar on October 26 was confidential in nature and was available only to the legal team of the detainees.
“I would urge everyone not to engage in speculation considering the sensitive nature of the case…,” Bagchi said.
When arrested, the eight men, including officers who have commanded major Indian warships, were working for Al Dahra Global Technologies and Consultancy Services, a private firm that provided training and services to Qatar's armed forces.