At least six people killed in random Michigan shootings

crime-reuters Image for representation

At least six people were shot and killed and several others wounded in Michigan on Saturday night in a series of apparently random shootings, authorities said.

The Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety said on its Facebook page the six people were killed in at least three shootings throughout Kalamazoo County.

"We seem to be dealing with a worst-case scenario, someone driving around shooting," Kalamazoo County Undersheriff Paul Matyas told NBC News. At least three people were wounded in the attacks.

The public safety department described the suspect as a white male in his 50s who was believed to be driving a dark colored Chevy HHR SUV with chrome wheels, adding that the vehicle may have some damage. It advised residents to be vigilant.

Early on Sunday, WWMT television said on its website that a "strong suspect" was in custody, citing Kalamazoo Public Safety Chief Jeff Hadley. The station reported that police had assured them that they had apprehended the shooter.

According to local media, four people were shot dead at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Texas Township, and two more died at a Seelye Kia dealership in Kalamazoo, in southwest Michigan.

The carnage began early Saturday evening when Matyas said police were first called to a Kalamazoo County apartment building where a woman was shot multiple times before later being listed in serious condition.

Hours later, they were called to the car dealership where two people were shot and killed, and a third was wounded.

Four people were killed at a third shooting scene in the Cracker Barrel parking lot, where the gunman opened fire on people in their cars after a brief conversation. A fifth person there was critically wounded, Matyas said.

The victims and shooting scenes appeared to have no link apart from the suspect. No motive for the seemingly random shootings had been determined.

Authorities could not be reached to verify the reports independently, but confirmed the deaths in interviews with news media posted on their web sites.

The victims' identities were not released, but local media said one fatality was an eight-year-old boy.

This browser settings will not support to add bookmarks programmatically. Please press Ctrl+D or change settings to bookmark this page.

Related Reading

    Show more