Pakistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Thursday announced that work on the Kartarpur Corridor project would continue despite the recent tension with India following the developments in Jammu and Kashmir.
The announcement on the Kartarpur Corridor was made by Mohammad Faisal, spokesperson for Pakistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Faisal declared, “Pakistan respects all religions, so the plan will continue.” There had been concern in India that the Kartarpur Corridor could be affected following Pakistan's decision to downgrade diplomatic and economic ties with India on Wednesday night.
Pakistan's decision to build the Kartarpur Corridor with India to mark the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak, the founder of the Sikh faith, had been welcomed by the community.
Speaking on Wednesday, Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh said any move to scuttle the Kartarpur Corridor would “leave millions of devotees disappointed”. Singh had said, “Political considerations should not be allowed to overshadow the religious feelings of the Sikhs, for whom Kartapur Gurdwara stands out as a symbol of reverence.”
Singh had also declared Kartarpur had “nothing to do with Kashmir or any other issue of concern for the two countries.”
Samjhauta Express
Meanwhile, Pakistan Railways Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed announced on Thursday afternoon that operations of the Samjhauta Express, which links Lahore to Delhi via Attari, would be suspended. NDTV reported the train had been stopped at the Wagah Border.
Earlier in the day, Pakistan media outlets had reported the Samjhauta Express would be suspended. However, some media outlets in India reported that the service was running as scheduled, but the Pakistani crew were not willing to travel to Attari.
Sheikh Rashid had on Wednesday warned India and Pakistan could be at war in three-to-six months.
In the immediate aftermath of the Balakot strike, Pakistan had suspended operations of the Samjhauta Express.