Paris terror attack: What we know so far about stabbing spree in French capital

The accused reportedly screamed 'Allahu Akbar' when confronted

Eiffel Tower French gendarmes patrol the Trocadero plaza near the Eiffel Tower | AP

A 26-year-old man was detained by the French Police after he fatally stabbed a German citizen before injuring two others in Paris on Saturday night. The accused, who tried to flee from the crime scene, was reportedly pursued and stopped by the cops using a stun gun. As France's anti-terror unit is interrogating the accused, here is what we know so far about the horrific incident:

  • The stabbing spree was reported near the Eiffel Tower in the French capital on Saturday night. The accused targeted a young German couple at the tourist hotspot of Bir Hakeim Bridge around 9:00 PM. After fatally stabbing a 23-year-old German-Filipino citizen, the attacker was forced to retreat after being intercepted by a brave cab driver, The Guardian said in a report.
  • The attacker crossed the Bir Hakeim bridge to reach the other side of the River Seine in order to loose the cab driver who tried to pursue him. Here, he launched a second wave of attack. A 66-year-old British national and a 60-year-old Frenchman suffered injuries here, The Guardian reported. One among the two was attacked using a hammer, the report added.
  • The Police arrived and arrested the attacker before he could hurt more people, the report added. He was brought down using a stun gun by the first responders.
  • According to news agency AFP, the accused was identified as Armand Rajabpour-Miyandoab of South Paris's Essonne area. The 26-year-old is reportedly a known radical Islamist. Armand was earlier imprisoned for planning a public attack and was reportedly undergoing psychiatric treatment.
  • The attacker shouted “Allahu Akbar” to the taxi driver as well as to the police officers before getting arrested, The Guardian report said. 
  • It was in 2016, that Armand Rajabpour-Miyandoab reportedly tried to execute a similar attack. However, he failed to execute the plan due to the timely intervention of the police. He served four years in prison following the incident and remained on the security services watchlist ever since.

Join our WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news, exclusives and videos on WhatsApp