Every Indian batter to have faced more than a ball scored a fifty or hundred on Sunday as India concluded the round-robin group stage of the ICC ODI World Cup 2023 with an emphatic win over the Netherlands. After having posted 410/4 at Bengaluru's Chinnaswamy Stadium, India bowled out the Dutch for 250 to earn a 160-run win. The result meant the Men In Blue finished the group stage ahead of Wednesday's semifinal against New Zealand undefeated.
If you missed the high-scoring contest, here is a quick recap of what happened as the table toppers clashed with the bottom-placed team of ICC World Cup 2023:
1. KL Rahul's quickfire 102 off 64 and Shreyas Iyer's unbeaten 94-ball 128 took India India to a mammoth 410 for 4, after Rohit Sharma opted to bat first. The two middle-order batters got the perfect launchpad as the top-order also flourished against the Dutch bowlers. Shubman Gill (51), Rohit Sharma (61) and Virat Kohli (51) made valuable contributions before Rahul and Iyer took over.
2. Thus, India became the third team in this tournament to post 400 after South Africa and New Zealand. The Men In Blue scored 126 runs in the final 10 overs to breach the 400-mark.
3. Rohit and Gill started the carnage with a forceful 100-run alliance off just 71 balls for the opening wicket. Rahul and Iyer exponentiated that collecting 208 runs for the fourth wicket in little over 21 overs, and 122 runs cascaded in the final 10 overs alone.
4. The Indian bowlers did not have to sweat much to skittle the Dutch for 250. Interestingly, Kohli and Rohit found themselves among the wicket-takers. It was the Indian captain who took the final wicket of the match.
5. Mohammed Siraj (2-29) overcame a throat injury suffered in a dropped catch to dazzle alongside Kuldeep Yadav (2-41), Jasprit Bumrah (2-33) and Ravindra Jadeja (2-49) also contributed to secure victory for India.
6. A brisk fifty by Teja Nidamanuru (54 off 39 balls), the final man to fall, was the highlight of the Dutch innings. An 80-ball 45 by Sybrand Engelbrecht, 32-ball 35 by Colin Ackermann and 42-ball 30 by vice-captain Max O'Dowd gave occasional cheers to the European side's dugout. However, they looked never on course to chase down the huge total set before them.
- With PTI inputs