Protests forced Jharkhand govt to cancel JSSC-CGL; now those who cleared it are protesting
Nearly 2,000 candidates who had already secured government positions through the exam are opposing the cancellation of the exam
The Jharkhand government's decision to cancel the JSSC-CGL exam in response to protests over alleged irregularities has led to a new agitation by nearly 2,000 successful candidates who fear losing their government jobs. These appointees, who secured their positions after clearing the examination, are not opposing an investigation but are demanding an opportunity to prove their fair selection and are calling for a CBI probe.
The Jharkhand government's decision to cancel the JSSC-CGL exam in response to protests over alleged irregularities has led to a new agitation by nearly 2,000 successful candidates who fear losing their government jobs. These appointees, who secured their positions after clearing the examination, are not opposing an investigation but are demanding an opportunity to prove their fair selection and are calling for a CBI probe.
The Jharkhand government's decision to cancel the JSSC-CGL exam in response to protests over alleged irregularities has led to a new agitation by nearly 2,000 successful candidates who fear losing their government jobs. These appointees, who secured their positions after clearing the examination, are not opposing an investigation but are demanding an opportunity to prove their fair selection and are calling for a CBI probe.
The Jharkhand government's decision to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) in the face of sustained protests has led to another agitation, this time by successful candidates who fear losing their government jobs.
After a marathon cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday, the government announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination. It also cancelled all recruitment tests conducted by the outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014 and the results published by it.
"The government has decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) exam, which was one of the major demands of the protesting students," Soren said.
While the decision addressed a key demand of aspirants protesting alleged irregularities, it created a fresh problem.
Around 2,000 candidates who cleared the JSSC-CGL examination and secured government jobs now fear losing their jobs. They maintain that they are not opposed to an investigation into the alleged irregularities but want an opportunity to prove that they secured their jobs fairly.
Both the aspirants who had been protesting against the examination and the successful candidates are now demanding a CBI probe.
"Tell us our crime. Don't throw us out. We were appointed after a court order," said Kaushal Kumar, an assistant section officer in the Jharkhand government, according to news agency PTI.
"We have come with all documents. Don't cancel it. Probe it. Do a CBI probe or whatever investigation you deem fit, but please don't do injustice to us," he added.
Another appointee, Chanda Kumari, asked whether successful candidates had been given enough opportunity to present their case before the government cancelled the examination.
"Democracy means that 100 guilty may be spared, but no innocent should be punished," she said.
The candidates argue that a distinction should be made between those involved in any alleged wrongdoing and those who obtained their jobs legitimately.
According to news agency ANI, Ashish Minz, who was appointed labour enforcement officer in Khunti through the JSSC-CGL process, said he had previously worked at LIC and the Food Corporation of India before taking up his present position.
"Now, we have nowhere to go back to; we are left with nothing," he said, adding, "Prove that I committed a wrongdoing, and only then remove me."
Another recruit, Prince Priyadarshi, said the successful candidates had joined service following a court verdict and maintained that anyone found guilty should face punishment.
Higher and Technical Education Minister Sudivya Kumar said successful candidates could seek legal recourse, while JMM spokesperson Manoj Pandey acknowledged their anguish and said the party was sympathetic to them.