Manipur: 2 dead, many hurt in Churachandpur violence; internet suspended in strife-torn district

Churachandpur-based ITLF called for a shutdown in the district on Friday

Manipur The mob ransacking the government complex housing the SP and DC offices in Manipur on Thursday | X

Two persons have reportedly been killed and dozens injured after a mob attempted to storm the Churachandpur SP office in Manipur on Thursday night. The fresh clashes happened after a head constable of the district police was suspended after the visuals of him with armed men went viral in the state. 

Though the Manipur police is yet to confirm the deaths, reports quoting district hospital officials identified the deceased as Churachandpur residents Letlalkhuol Gangte and Thanggunlen Haokip. They died of gunshot wounds, reported Hindustan Times.

The violence erupted on Thursday evening when 300–400 attempted to storm the government complex housing the SP and DC offices, torching vehicles and ransacking government property. The mob set on fire several buses and trucks used by security forces, PTI quoted an official.

Eyewitnesses said the trouble started in front of the Churachandpur SP office around 7.40 pm just after the suspension order by SP Sivanand Surve went viral in various social media groups. The accused head constable Siamlalpaul was kept under suspension with immediate effect until further orders after the video of him with "armed men" and "sitting together with village volunteers" went viral on social media.

"This tantamount to very grave misconduct being a member of the disciplined police force," a police order said. "A departmental inquiry is being contemplated against Siamlalpaul of Churachandpur district police, as a clip has gone viral on social media showing him making a video with armed men on February 14," the order added.

Meanwhile, Churachandpur-based Indigenous Tribal Leaders Forum (ITLF) called for a shutdown in the district on Friday in view of the violence and deaths. Protesters demanded the reinstatement of the head constable in the service, alleging that his suspension was "unfair".

The Manipur police also suspended internet services in Churachandpur district for five days following the violence. "There is apprehension that some anti-social elements might use social media extensively for transmission of images, posts and video messages inciting the public, which might have serious repercussions for the law and order situation..There is imminent danger for loss of lives/ damage to public or private property and widespread disturbances to public tranquillity and communal harmony as a result of inflammatory material and false rumours," the notification said.


Join our WhatsApp Channel to get the latest news, exclusives and videos on WhatsApp