THE WEEK morning brief: Seven years to Nirbhaya gangrape and murder

The perpetrators are now facing death penalty

protest-2 Representational image | Salil Bera

A look at the headlines today:

1. Seven years since Nirbhaya gangrape and murder

A 23-year-old paramedic student, who came to be known as Nirbhaya, was gang-raped on the intervening night of December 16-17, 2012, inside a running bus in south Delhi by six people and severely assaulted before being thrown out on the road. On the seventh anniversary of her assault, tomorrow, the perpetrators face an impending death penalty. A Delhi court will hear on Wednesday a plea seeking issuance of death warrants against four people convicted in the Nirbhaya gang rape-and-murder case. Additional Sessions Judge Satish Kumar Arora deferred the matter till December 18, noting that the review petition of one of the convicts was pending before the Supreme Court for Tuesday. "At least, I have to wait till the time appeal for review is pending," the judge said. "My view is that once the review is pending before before the SC, let's wait for the outcome," the judge said. "Since his [Akshay Kumar] review petition is pending before SC for December 17, I would adjourn it for December 18." Urging the court to issue death warrants, the prosecution said: "The court can issue death warrant. Nothing prevents court from issuing death warrants." The apex court had on July 9 last year dismissed the review pleas filed by the three other convicts—Mukesh, Pawan Gupta and Vinay Sharma—in the case saying no grounds had been made out by them for review of the 2017 verdict.

2. Cyclists to carry out rallies across India today to create awareness on women safety

Cyclists will take out rallies across the country to create awareness about crimes against women and their safety today, a day before the seventh anniversary of the Nirbhaya gangrape and murder. Jwala, an NGO, has planned a cycling ride 'Disha' across 50 cities, including Delhi and Mumbai. Different cycling clubs have come forward to ride and send a social message across the country about the sensitivity towards safety of the women. "The outrage among the people of India is seen with the response being generated. More than 2000 riders have registered themselves on social media to ride for the social cause," said Divya Gupta, founder and President of Jwala.  In the national capital, the ride will begin from various locations today morning, she said. 

3.  As unrest continues, Amit Shah's visit to Meghalaya, Arunachal today cancelled

Union Home Minister Amit Shah has cancelled his visit to two northeastern states—Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh—scheduled on Sunday and Monday. The cancellation comes amidst widespread protests in Assam and Meghalaya against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019. The home minister's visit to the northeast has been cancelled, a ministry official said, without citing any reason. Shah was supposed to take part in the passing out parade at the North Eastern Police Academy near Shillong on Sunday and a festival in Tawang the next day. At least two people were killed in police firing in Assam following widespread protests against the contentious act which was approved by the Parliament on Wednesday and given the presidential assent Thursday night. Curfew has been imposed at several places in Assam, while Army has carried out flag marches in many districts to control protests and violence.

4. Boris Johnson goes north to celebrate crushing election win

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson visited northern England on Saturday to thank voters and newly elected Conservative Party lawmakers in the working class heartland that turned its back on the opposition Labour Party in this week's election and helped give him an 80-seat majority. Speaking in Sedgefield, the constituency once held by Labour former prime minister Tony Blair, Johnson acknowledged the seismic shift that helped sweep him to victory in Thursday's election. "I know that people may have been breaking the voting habits of generations to vote for us," he told supporters. "And I want the people of the northeast to know that we in the Conservative Party and I will repay your trust." In a victory speech outside 10 Downing Street on Friday, Johnson called for an end to the acrimony that has festered throughout the country since the divisive 2016 Brexit referendum, and urged Britain to "let the healing begin."

5. US, UK, other countries warn citizens against travelling to northeast India

Several countries, including the US, UK, Israel  Canada and Singapore, have asked their citizens to exercise caution while travelling to the northeast India which has witnessed violent protests against the amended Citizenship Act. The new amended citizenship law, which provides for granting citizenship to non-Muslim persecuted minorities from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan, has put the northeast on the boil, where people fear that it may exacerbate the problem of illegal immigration. The US government has temporarily suspended official travels to Assam, the epicentre of the protests. "US citizens in the northeastern states of India should exercise caution in light of media reports of protests and violence in response to the approval of the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill. Government curfews are in place in some areas. Internet and mobile communications may be disrupted. Transport may be affected in various parts," the advisory read. The US embassy in New Delhi has also listed out precautions for its citizens staying in the northeastern states, asking them to avoid areas with "demonstrations and civil disturbances", being aware of their surroundings, and keep a "low profile" among others.

6. ISL: Unbeaten Bengaluru face Mumbai hurdle

Unbeaten in their seven matches so far, defending champions Bengaluru FC will look to jump to the top of the table when they take on Mumbai City FC at home in an Indian Super League clash on Sunday. After an indifferent start, Bengaluru have found their mojo back and they sit second on the table with 13 points from seven matches.  More importantly, Carles Cuadrat's men are unbeaten and have the best defensive record in the competition. Bengaluru have conceded just two goals so far and one of them came from a penalty. Mumbai face a tough task of breaching the Bengaluru backline at the Sree Kanteerava where they are yet to ship in a goal this season. Both goals they conceded came in away matches. Led by Juanan and ably supported by Albert Serran and goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu, Bengaluru rarely afford opponents a crack at their goal. In fact, they have faced the lowest shots at home (23) in the league.