Youth dies of electrocution
Bhubaneswar, Aug 24 (PTI) A youth was electrocuted to
death after coming in contact with electric wires used for
decoration of a railway over bridge (ROB) in the city just
hours after Chief Minister Naveen Patanik had opened it for
public, police said today.
The deceased was identified as Simachal Panda, a
native of Ganjam district and staying at Sunderpada area here.
He came in contact with live wire while removing balloons on
the electric poles used for decorating the bridge, police
Panda was immediately taken to the Capital Hospital
here, but doctors declared him brought dead.
The 653 meter ROB was constructed at a cost of Rs
32.55 crore and was opened to public by the chief minister
Patnaik expressed grief over the incident and
announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh for the next of the kin of
Meanwhile, Opposition Congress and BJP criticised the
state government over the incident.
Congresss Bhubaneswar unit president Manas Choudhery
blamed the Works Department for the mishap.
BJP leader Manmohan Samal demanded Rs 25 lakh as
ex-gratia for the family of the deceased. PTI AAM