Political parties keep their fingers crossed as counting is underway for by-elections to four Lok Sabha seats and 10 Assembly constituencies on Thursday. The results will be a litmus test for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as a positive outcome is necessary for the saffron party to maintain its majority in the Lok Sabha. The results will also test the mettle of a united opposition with that of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- BJP wins Palghar bypoll Lok Sabha constituency in Maharashtra by 29572 votes.
- Congress candidate Miani D. Shira wins Ampati seat in Meghalaya. She is the daughter of Former CM and Congress leader Mukul Sangma.
- BJP candidate Munni Devi wins Tharali bypoll assembly seat in Uttarakhand
- Congress wins Shahkot assembly bypoll seat in Punjab, NCP leading by 20,583 votes in Bhandara-Gondiya Lok Sabha bypoll
- "The number of votes JD(U) got is less than our victory margin. People of Bihar continue to avenge the u-turn taken by Nitish Kumar," says Tejashwi Yadav
- "There is outrage across the country due to increase in price of petrol and diesel. Constant rise in the price of fuel is also a reason for such poll results. Therefore, hike should be immediately rolled back," says K.C. Tyagi, JDU
- Congress candidate Muniratna wins by 41162 votes from Rajarajeshwari Nagar Assembly constituency in Karnataka
- Samajwadi Party wins by 6,211 votes in Noorpur Assembly by-polls in Uttar Pradesh
12.30 pm: CPI-M candidate Saji Cherian wins by 20,956 votes in Chengannur, Kerala
- "We won the RR Nagar seat with huge margin, the people of Bengaluru have blessed us," says Dinesh Gundu Rao
- "I think the EVM machines were rigged," says Nayab Singh Kohar, Akali Dal candidate from Shahkot assembly seat in Punjab
- Samajwadi Party leading by 10208 votes in Nurpoor after 20th round of counting
- Congress leading by 1092 votes from Tharali Assembly seat in Uttarakhand
- Kerala: CPI(M) candidate Saji Cheriyan leading with 14229 votes from Chengannur Assembly seat
- Congress leading with 27049 votes from Shahkot assembly seat in Punjab after 11th round of counting
- Congress candidate Muniratna leading with 46593 votes from Rajarajeshwari Nagar
- RLD's Tabassum Hasan leading by over 26925 votes over BJP's Mriganka Singh in Kairana
- BJP's Gavit Rajendra Dhedya leading by 17843 votes over Shiv Sena's Shrinivas Chintaman Vanaga from Palghar Lok Sabha seat in Maharashtra
- Naga People's Front (NPF) leading by over 11,000 votes, ahead of Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) in Nagaland bypolls
11.20 am: Congress' Miani D Shira wins from Meghalaya's Ampati Assembly constituency
11 15 am: RJD leading with 16,299 votes from Jokihat assembly seat after 14th round of counting
11.05 am: JMM's Seema Devi leading by 296 votes from Silli Assembly seat in Jharkhand in the sixth round of counting
11.02 am: Congress candidate leading by 198 votes from Tharali assembly seat in Uttarakhand
11.00 am: TMC's Dulal Chandra Das is leading by over 33,000 votes from Maheshtala assembly constituency in West Bengal, after tenth round of counting, BJP second
10.55 am: Congress candidate Muniratna leading by around 44000 votes from Rajarajeshwari Nagar Assembly constituency in Karnataka after ninth round of counting
10.50 am: Kairana Lok Sabha by-poll: RLD's Tabassum Hasan leading by over 16,000 votes over BJP's Mriganka Singh.
10.40 am: BJP's Gavit Rajendra Dhedya leading from Palghar Lok Sabha seat in Maharashtra by over 14,000 votes over Shiv Sena candidate
10.05 am: NCP leading from Maharashtra's Bhandara-Gondiya by 3100 votes, BJP second
10.00 am: BJP's Gavit Rajendra Dhedya leading from Palghar Lok Sabha seat in Maharashtra by over 10,000 votes over Shiv Sena's candidate.
9.50 am: TMC's Dulal Chandra Das is leading by over 20,000 votes from Maheshtala assembly constituency in West Bengal, after sixth round of counting. CPI(M) is second, BJP third.
9.30 am: RLD's Tabassum Hasan leading by over 3000 votes over BJP's Mriganka Singh in Kairana Lok Sabha bypolls in Uttar Pradesh
9. 24 am: Congress' Mukul Sangma's daughter Miani D Shira leads in Meghalaya's Ampati
9. 20 am: JD(U)'s Md Murshid Alam leading by over 3000 votes from Jokihat Assembly constituency in Bihar
9. 18 am: BJP's Gavit Rajendra Dhedya leading from Palghar Lok Sabha seat in Maharashtra
9.10 am: Early trends indicate CPI-M leading from Chengannur Assembly seat in Kerala
9.05 am: Congress candidate Muniratna leading by 8,680 votes on Rajarajeshwari Nagar assembly constituency seat in Karnataka
9.00 am: TMC's Dulal Chandra Das is leading by over 10,000 votes from Maheshtala assembly constituency in West Bengal, after second round of counting.
8.55 am: Congress candidate Laddi Sherowalia leading by around 2000 votes in first round of counting for Shahkot assembly-by poll in Punjab
8.50 am: Samajwadi Party is leading from Noorpur Assembly constituency in Utttar Pradesh in early trends
8.25 am: Congress' Vishwajeet Patangrao Kadam has been elected unopposed from Maharashtra's Palus Kadegaon Assembly constituency.
8.00 am: Counting for Assembly byelections begins in Shahkot (Punjab), Tharali (Uttarakhand), Ampati (Meghalaya), Chengannur (Kerala), Jokihat (Bihar), Gomia (Jharkhand), Silli (Jharkhand), Maheshtala (West Bengal), Noorpur (Uttar Pradesh), Palus Kadegaon (Maharashtra).
8.00 am: Counting begins in Palghar and Bhandara-Gondiya in Maharashtra, the politically-crucial Kairana Lok Sabha constituency in Uttar Pradesh, and Nagaland parliamentary constituency.
7.45 am: Counting of votes for by-elections to four Lok Sabha seats and 10 Assembly constituencies to begin shortly