×

China Evergrande liquidators seek USD 8.4B from PwC in Hong Kong lawsuit

     Hong Kong, May 18 (AP) Liquidators of the failed Chinese property developer China Evergrande are seeking 57 billion yuan (USD 8.4 billion) from accounting firm PwC over its auditing work, a Hong Kong court was told on Monday.
     The hefty amount was claimed against PwC International, PwC Hong Kong and PwC's mainland Chinese entity, the court heard. A court decision has not yet been made on the claims.
     China Evergrande, once one of China's largest real estate developers, first defaulted in 2021, and with more than USD 300 billion in liabilities, became the world's most indebted developer.
     Its downfall triggered a liquidity crunch in China's property sector, which faced a slump in sales and prices and still has not fully recovered.
     After a Hong Kong judge ordered China Evergrande's liquidation in early 2024, its court-appointed liquidators launched legal proceedings against PwC over alleged “negligence” in its work for Evergrande as they attempted to recover what they could for creditors.
     Last month, Hong Kong regulators said PwC was paying HKD 1.3 billion (USD 166 million) in fines and compensation over its role in auditing Evergrande's financial statements before its collapse, as they said there were breaches of professional duties by PwC.
     PwC said last month that they acknowledged the work on the Evergrande audits “fell well below our high expectations and the expectations of our stakeholders.”
     That came after mainland Chinese authorities in September 2024 separately fined PwC 441 million yuan (USD 62 million) over its Evergrande audits, and said the Chinese developer had inflated its revenues by roughly USD 80 billion in its 2019 and 2020 financial results.
     Evergrande founder Hui Ka Yan, once one of Asia's richest people, pleaded guilty to charges in mainland China, including fraud and bribery. (AP) SKS
SKS

(This story has not been edited by THE WEEK and is auto-generated from PTI)