Barcelona FC have confirmed one positive case of COVID-19, the club said in a statement on Wednesday, but added that Friday’s Champions League clash against Bayern Munich is not in doubt as the player was not included in the squad for the quarterfinal match.
Barca said that the player was asymptomatic and is self-isolating at home. He has not been in contact with any other players, it added.
The club did not reveal the identity of the player, who tested positive after reporting back for pre-season training, reports said.
“Following PCR tests conducted this Tuesday afternoon on the group of nine players due to begin the pre-season today, one of them has tested positive for Covid-19,” read the statement, which is up on Barcelona’s official website.
“The player has no symptoms, is in good health and has been quarantined at his home. The club has reported the matter to the relevant sporting and health authorities.
“All persons who have been in contact with the player have been tracked to perform the corresponding PCR tests.
“The player has not been in contact with any of the senior team players who are scheduled to travel to Lisbon this Thursday to compete in the Champions League,” the club statement read.
Barcelona players will be travelling to Lisbon on Thursday for the Champions League ‘final eight’ tournament. All players scheduled to fly to Portugal will be subjected to regular testing, the club said, adding that the fixture against Bayern will go ahead as scheduled.
Earlier this week, Atletico Madrid confirmed two cases of COVID-19 days ahead of their Champions League clash against RB Leipzig. The club did not reveal if the cases involved players or support staff, but said that the individuals were advised to self-isolate at home. The club also said that plans will be changed with regard to travel schedules and accommodation.