Panic has gripped a large section of journalists as well as Congress leaders who attended the press conference of former chief minister Kamal Nath on March 20, after one of the journalists who attended it tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday.
Kamal Nath had announced his resignation during the press conference, and there were over 150 journalists apart from Congress leaders, including former chief minister Digvijaya Singh present at the press brief.
The journalist's daughter, who returned from London on March 17, had tested positive earlier and the samples of all family members and close contacts had been taken. Of the ten samples taken, nine tested negative while one that of journalist tested positive, health officials said.
Bhopal chief medical and health officer Dr Sudhir Dehariya confirmed the report to THE WEEK. Dr Dehriya said the journalist has been admitted in isolation ward of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and is stable and so is his daughter.
Dehariya said everyone who came in close contact with the journalist should home quarantine themselves for 14 days, and in case of any symptoms after 5-6 days (from March 20), should contact the COVID-19 control room in Bhopal for testing. The symptoms including cough and cold, fever and respiratory distress (shortness of breath). He said as per Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) guidelines, tests are to be done only in case symptoms appear.
He suggested that even people who were not in close contact with the person who tested positive keep themselves isolated as precaution. This includes Kamal Nath as well, he said.
Meanwhile, a rumour that R.K. Miglani, the political advisor of Kamal Nath had also tested positive and has been sent to hospital, sent fresh panic waves in the journalistic and political circles. However, Narendra Saluja, media coordinator of Kamal Nath, clarified that Miglani had not tested positive.
Saluja also said Kamal Nath was doing fine and though he was not in isolation, he was taking all due precautions and measures related to COVID-19. He was doing his office work, taking stock of COVID-19 situation in state and has appealed to people to follow all the precautionary and preventive measures related to the pandemic, Saluja said.
One dead, 15 test positive MP
Madhya Pradesh recorded its first coronavirus death as a 65-year-old woman who was undergoing treatment in Indore passed away on Wednesday. She was tested positive only on Wednesday.
Along with the positive case of Bhopal journalist and five new cases from Indore, the total number of COVID-19 positive cases in Madhya Pradesh has gone up to 15. Six of these cases are from Jabalpur, two from Bhopal and one each from Shivpuri and Gwalior districts.