The security forces suspect the involvement of the NDFB in the horrific terror attack in Assam where at least 13 people have been killed and several injured in a busy market place in Kokrajhar. So far no group has claimed responsibility. Ground reports said the militants lobbed grenades and fired indiscriminately at the security forces and public.
Security sources said the attack was carried out by five or six gunmen, who opened fire in the crowded market which had huge footfall as it was a Friday, the sources said. Those dead include six Bodos, three Muslims and a native of Bengal. A militant too was shot dead by security forces.
National Security Adviser Ajit Doval is meeting the Home Minister Rajnath Singh. According to top security officials, the area of attack has been targeted by the NDFB in the past as well and the outfit was desperate to carry out a big strike over the last few months, as per inputs available with intelligence agencies.
The Bodo population is negligible in this area, and their only presence is as sellers at the market.
The home ministry has got an interim report and is in constant touch with state government over the developments even as the combing operations are underway.
Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju has termed it as an unfortunate incident and assured the victims are taken care of.