More articles by

Ajay Uprety
Ajay Uprety


Dayashankar Singh arrested, thanks to his cellphone

dayashankar-sharma-pti Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh arrested in Buxar, Bihar on Friday | PTI

Cops would have nabbed an elusive Dayashanker Singh two days before his arrest on Friday had he not switched off his cellphone. A hide and seek game had been going on between the Lucknow police and Singh for the past few days. On Thursday evening, police found out that he was in Buxar, a town situated on the border of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. But when the cops were crossing Varanasi, his cellphone was switched off.

The Lucknow Senior Superintendent of Police, Manji Saini, immediately coordinated with the SSP STF Amit Pathak, who deputed Sub Inspector Rohit Parihaar and his team for the operation. Late in the evening Dayashanker switched on his mobile to talk to some of his acquaintances, which proved to be a mistake from his part. Police were constantly tracing three cellphones used by him and his relatives for the past couple of days. As he knew that the police were searching for him, Singh used to switch off his mobile for hours together.

The police realised that from Buxar, he might move to the nearby Balia town in UP. They decided to nab him in Buxar before he could proceed to Balia. In the wee hours of Friday morning, UP police team reached Buxar, but could not trace him. They sought the help of Bihar police and nabbed him around 1.30 in the afternoon.

In Buxar, Singh was staying at a relative's house in Shwetnagar locality. With some effort, police surrounded the house and a few plain clothed cops were deployed to keep an eye on him. When he came out of the house on a bike, the police followed him. They found him at a photo studio in the nearby ‘Chini mill’ locality. Singh was there to take some photos for filing some papers in the court. He was arrested as soon as he came out of the studio.

An FIR was lodged against Singh in Hazratgunj police station in Lucknow by BSP’s National Secretary Mewalal Gautam on July 20. Singh had made derogatory comments against BSP chief Mayawati. Singh immediately fled to Lucknow and later reached the eastern UP town of Gorakhpur. On July 22, when the pressure started mounting for his arrest, he went underground from Gorakhpur. In between this, the Allahabad high court had rejected his plea for a stay on his arrest on Thursday.

On July 26, police came to know that he was hiding somewhere in Satna, a town on the border of UP and MP. When Station Officer (SO) Dhirendra Shukla, along with inspector Harishanker, reached Satna, Dayashnaker, along with some of his accomplices, left for Rewa, another town in MP. From there he went to Varanasi and finally, reached Buxar. IG (Lucknow Zone) Satish Ganesh said that Singh was produced in the Chief Judicial Magistrate (Mau) court and was sent to 14-day judicial custody.

This browser settings will not support to add bookmarks programmatically. Please press Ctrl+D or change settings to bookmark this page.

Related Reading

    Show more