Abu Jundal found guilty in Aurangabad arms haul case

abu-jundal-pti (File) Abu Jundal alias Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari | PTI

Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court has found Abu Jundal alias Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari guilty in the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case on Thursday. Eleven others were also convicted in the case.

A tweet by the news agency ANI said, "MCOCA court said that this was a conspiracy after 2002 Gujarat riots to eliminate then Gujarat CM Narendra Modi and VHP's Pravin Togadia."

It further tweeted, "COCA court said that this was a larger conspiracy to strike terror and they (accused) were calling it 'jihad'."

A Lashkar-e-Toiba operative, Jundal was the key plotter of the 26/11 terror attack. He was among the 22 arrested in the case.

On May 8, 2006, a Maharashtra ATS team chased a Tata Sumo and an Indica car on Chandwad-Manmad highway near Aurangabad and arrested three terror suspects and seized 30kg of RDX, 10 AK-47 assault rifles and 3,200 bullets.

The Indica, allegedly driven by Jundal, managed to give police the slip. Jundal, who hails from Beed district of Maharashtra, drove to Malegaon and a few days later he escaped to Bangladesh from where he fled to Pakistan, according to the state police.

He was deported to India from Saudi Arabia in 2012.

The special court framed charges against the 22 arrested accused in August 2013. During the trial, the prosecution examined 100 witnesses while defence lawyers examined 16.

The trial was stayed by the Supreme Court for a while after one of the accused challenged constitutional validity of certain provisions of MCOCA. The stay was vacated in 2009.

In August last year, the Bombay High Court directed the lower court to expedite the trial.

(With PTI inputs)

This browser settings will not support to add bookmarks programmatically. Please press Ctrl+D or change settings to bookmark this page.

Related Reading

    Show more