Kollam tragedy

Conflicting versions on nod for fireworks display

Kollam-fireworks-injured Medical officials use a trolley to transport an injured man from a vehicle into a hospital | AFP

Conflicting versions are emerging on permission being granted for conduct of fireworks display at the 100-year-old Puttingal Devi temple complex where at least 105 lives were lost in a major fire on Sunday.

While the office of Kollam District Collector A Shainamol's told PTI that no permission was granted to conduct the fireworks display, local people claimed the ban was lifted later in the night.

Kollam tragedy: Deadliest ever in the history of Kerala

They claimed a ban had been imposed on a complaint by one Pankajakshi, a resident near the temple complex against holding fireworks display.

Pankajakshi alleged that temple authorities had threatened her after the complaint was filed.

Kollam temple fire: Negligence, violation of orders led to tragedy

Local people in the area told PTI that late at night, the ban was lifted following a 'mutual agreement'.

However, Kollam City Police commissioner P Prakash, said police did not given permission for the display of fireworks.

"The locals said they had received oral permission. The temple authority did not have the permission and we did not give them any permission," he said.

Puttingal Devi temple officials go missing after tragedy

"A case has been registered and a team from Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), Thiruvananthapuram will be reaching here," he said.

Fireforce DGP Loknath Behara said "the incident will be treated as a criminal act."

A special team from fireforce will also probe into the incident, said Behara, who visited the spot.

This browser settings will not support to add bookmarks programmatically. Please press Ctrl+D or change settings to bookmark this page.
Topics : #Kollam tragedy

Related Reading

    Show more