According to PTI reports, the Centre has put on hold the ban on NDTV India, which it had earlier enforced for its coverage of the Pathankot airbase attack.
The PTI report quoted unnamed official sources.
The enforced ban had sparked nation wide outrage.
Various media bodies had expressed concern and opposed the government decision to ban NDTV India for one day (November 9) for allegedly airing details of security operation on Pathankot air base attack.
The umbrella body of TV news channels, News Broadcasters Association(NBA), in its statement, said that it was deeply concerned with the decision taken by the inter-ministerial committee (IMC) of the ministry for information & broadcasting (MoI&B).
“It is surprising to note that NDTV India has been singled out by the I&B ministry, when the rest of the media also did cover the terror attack and all such reports were available in the public domain. The IMC and the ministry of I&B should have seen it from the prism of freedom of the media, which is guaranteed in the constitution, and not gone strictly by the regulations under the Cable Act,” the NBA statement said.
It added that it would have been appropriate if the Ministry had referred the alleged violations of NDTV India to the News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA), the independent self-regulatory body of the NBA.
Even politicians took sides on the issue. Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi tweeted, “detaining opposition leaders, blacking out tv channels - all in a day's work in Modiji's India…shocking and unprecedented.”
The BJP also reacted sharply. "In democracy, BJP is in favour of preserving press freedom. But it is the nation first. No compromise on national security," BJP secretary Shrikant Sharma said.
(With inputs from agencies)