In a tragic news coming from Theni district of Tamil Nadu, last night more than 40 passengers were electrocuted when a live electric wire fell on a bus carrying mostly students. At least two children were killed in the incident.
According to reports, at least 65 passengers were travelling on the tourist bus. Students and their relatives were returning home after touring Suruli Falls, Kumbakarai Falls and Sothuparai dam when the incident took place.
According to reports, when some students tried to pull a mango tree from inside the bus in a farm near Sothuparai dam, a branch of the tree fell on the bus along with a part of live fire electrocuting its occupants.
The two teenaged boys, identified as Mukesh and Karthick Selvam, died on the spot, while other victims including girls were rushed to nearby hospitals for the treatment.
Former Chief Minister and current Finance Minister O. Panneerselvam visited the injured and took stock of the situation.
The victims are from Achampathu village in Madurai district and they were on a free tour, annually organised by an NGO.
Police have filed a case.